The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) is a federal agency responsible for developing and testing new ways to improve healthcare in America. In 2021, CMMI announced plans to have every Medicare beneficiary, and a majority of Medicaid beneficiaries, in an accountable care arrangement by 2030.
According to CMS administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure, CMS will “pay for health care based on value to the patient instead of volume of the services provided, and deliver affordable, person-centered care.”
This is a no-brainer that will significantly impact payors and providers over the next decade.
Accountable care for all, with the help of SMS texting
One way that payors and providers can support CMMI’s plan to drive for accountable care is by using frequent SMS text conversations to dramatically increase member engagement:
- Send reminders to patients about appointments
- Encourage members to participate in screenings and other preventative measures.
- Help members navigate the healthcare system to get the care they need.
- Verify medication adherence
- Provide patients with education about their health conditions and encourage them to be proactive in managing them.
- Help alleviate loneliness and provide emotional support
- Improve member satisfaction.
SMS text conversations are a convenient and effective way to communicate with members of all sociodemographic backgrounds. Unlike apps (with notifications turned off), or emails that are ignored, SMS texts are usually read within minutes of arrival. They are a great way to activate members and improve their health outcomes.
As your organization transitions to value based arrangements, make sure to check out SMS texting solutions for member engagement from companies such as Twig Health.